Fools by Martin Walker

Thursday, December 21, 2006

My weekend with Norma Desmond & the Paparazzi

My weekend with Norma Desmond & the Paparazzi - this happened in early November - sorry I couldn't post sooner - but check back for the latest updates on Love 10:1

I attended a filmmaking seminar the other day and had a “close encounter” with a person who at one time was the top actress in Hollywood. Let’s call her Norma Desmond. Norma Desmond and I sat next to each other and Mrs. Desmond took a liking to me and chatted me up for most of the day. At the end of the seminar I decided to ask her a question. Here’s how it went.

Lucy
Mrs. Desmond, are you working behind the camera?

Norma
Well, I’m a filmmaker now.

Lucy (in total suck up mode)
Oh Ms. Desmond, film is a collaboration, certainly an actress of your stature should consider herself a filmmaker, your body of work is impressive to say the least.

Norma
Thank you dahhhling, that’s very sweet of you.

Lucy
I work with MoviesByWomen.com

Norma Desmond cuts me off, stiffens and gives me a deathly look.

Norma
I don’t have time

Lucy
Don’t have time for what?

Norma
For whatever you’re about to ask me to do

Lucy
I’m sorry, I wasn’t going to ask you for anything, I just wanted to let you know that at MoviesByWomen we promote women directed features, so you should let us know if you plan on directing.

Norma
I don’t have time for your nonsense

Lucy
I’m sorry Ms. Desmond, it was not my intention to ask you for anything. Excuse me.

I left thinking, what a nut case!. I wish I could say that’s where it ends but then Norma Desmond taps me on the shoulder.

Norma
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be rude, I’m just very tired.

Lucy
No worries, excuse me.

Norma gets in front of me and starts yapping away.

Norma
I don’t understand all the nonsense you started talking to me about, why would I Norma Desmond need YOU.

I was tempted to say many cruel things to Norma Desmond, but I felt embarrassed for her and bit my tongue hard. She may have been a movie star at one point, but I have ambition and a good sense of who I am on my side. I want to make films that touch people and I would never speak to someone that way. I treat everyone I meet with respect. I have never wanted fame, and if being famous turns you into a wicked and neurotic witch then fame is not for me. The next day....

I had to meet with Nick and Christine to go over some Love 10:1 items. Christine told us to meet her at toast at 4pm. The place had a B so I was reluctant to eat there but when in Rome…..

As we sat there, Christine spotted Paris Hilton in her pajamas, her sister came in looking for her and the girls headed across the street to shop. We got on with our meeting but it was hard to concentrate with all the commotion the Hilton sisters were causing outside. The paparazzi kept multiplying. It was really disturbing to see these girls getting accosted like that. I would never, ever want to be in that position.

As we are getting up to leave, the Hilton girls came in to get their car, so as we exited, they where coming in to the restaurant. The paparazzi nearly trampled us. It was hard to make our way out of there. When we got to the corner we almost got run over by an SUV driven by one of the paparazzi. It was the freakiest thing that has happened to me.

Lucy

No comments:

About The Three Shorts

Christine Le wrote and directed the 1st story Love 10 to 1.
The first story explores the life of a 29-year-old virgin, Jenny, who desperately wants to lose her virginity before her 30th birthday. As she encounters one loser after another on dates, Jenny pines after her boss, Dustin. While at her grandmother’s retirement home, Jenny learns a powerful lesson from her grandmother about sex and the meaning of life.


Christine Le (right) directs Shireen Nomura Mui (Jenny) & Justin Klosky (Jim).

Lucy Rodriguez wrote and directed Love Song.
The second story revolves around Shane, the lead singer of the L.A. rock band, Dirty Virgin. Shane has her pick of admirers but it’s her roommate Dustin she wants to be with. Shane confesses her feelings on Jackie and Jared’s show but when Dustin meets Cali, Shane’s shot at love starts to dwindle. With Dirty Virgin about to embark on a world tour, will Dustin realize that he’s the object of Shane’s affections? Will they risk their friendship to give this Love Song a chance?


Lucy Rodriguez & David Villar (Dustin)

Laura Somers wrote and directed Diving Lessons.
The final story picks up where Love 10 to 1 left off, but from the perspective of Jim, the guitarist of Dirty Virgin. Jim sees Jenny at a swimming pool, trying desperately to overcome her fear of diving. In fact, he finds out that she’s making a list of everything that she’s afraid of and trying to overcome them, one by one. He is instantly smitten and tries to convince her that he’s not just a rock star who ‘loves ‘em and leaves ‘em’. Can a rock star find love with a virgin?


Shireen Nomura-Mui, Laura Somers & Justin Klosky




Leah Anova is the Director of Photography for Love 10 to 1 & Diving Lessons.

Additional Cinematography on Diving Lessons by Erik Forsell

Matthew Boyd is the Director of Photography for Love Song.