Fools by Martin Walker

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I get it.


I've been directing for quite some time. I've worked on theater projects of varying levels, with experience ranging from newbies to old dogs. That being said:

This weekend was like a dream come true for me. I've directed films before, but all of them have been on microbudgets. I mean MICRO. When that grip truck and the genny rolled up to the Cerritos Swim Center, I about died.

And we're not even close to "The Big Time".

This is why you need to raise a lot of money before you start any production, because every dime you spend on equipment and crew is worth the money. The team was top notch. They were professional, speedy, and all kick ass at their jobs. All I had to do is step back and direct. It was a fantastic feeling to trust that everyone was doing their jobs and doing them well. I just can't say enough good things about Leah and Brian's performance on set. They worked really well together and were so considerate of one another. It was a lot of fun working with them.



My roommate remarked the night before the shoot that I was awfully calm considering we were going into production the next morning, but it was because I felt very confident in the team and that everything was in place. And I knew I was right as soon as I got to the pool the next morning.

I will carry that memory with me for a while.

The rest of the shoot won't be as spectacularly easy, as I have to go back to my guerrilla filmmaking life to save the sanity of my Producers. I have to "get it done". I've made a promise not only to myself, but also to Christine and Lucy to see this through, and I will honor that commitment.

But every time I look at the pool footage I'll remember this past weekend and how for a fleeting moment I got to be somewhere on the fringes of The Big Time. It feels good, folks. Really good.



I'm sure there will be more just around the corner.

xox
laura

No comments:

About The Three Shorts

Christine Le wrote and directed the 1st story Love 10 to 1.
The first story explores the life of a 29-year-old virgin, Jenny, who desperately wants to lose her virginity before her 30th birthday. As she encounters one loser after another on dates, Jenny pines after her boss, Dustin. While at her grandmother’s retirement home, Jenny learns a powerful lesson from her grandmother about sex and the meaning of life.


Christine Le (right) directs Shireen Nomura Mui (Jenny) & Justin Klosky (Jim).

Lucy Rodriguez wrote and directed Love Song.
The second story revolves around Shane, the lead singer of the L.A. rock band, Dirty Virgin. Shane has her pick of admirers but it’s her roommate Dustin she wants to be with. Shane confesses her feelings on Jackie and Jared’s show but when Dustin meets Cali, Shane’s shot at love starts to dwindle. With Dirty Virgin about to embark on a world tour, will Dustin realize that he’s the object of Shane’s affections? Will they risk their friendship to give this Love Song a chance?


Lucy Rodriguez & David Villar (Dustin)

Laura Somers wrote and directed Diving Lessons.
The final story picks up where Love 10 to 1 left off, but from the perspective of Jim, the guitarist of Dirty Virgin. Jim sees Jenny at a swimming pool, trying desperately to overcome her fear of diving. In fact, he finds out that she’s making a list of everything that she’s afraid of and trying to overcome them, one by one. He is instantly smitten and tries to convince her that he’s not just a rock star who ‘loves ‘em and leaves ‘em’. Can a rock star find love with a virgin?


Shireen Nomura-Mui, Laura Somers & Justin Klosky




Leah Anova is the Director of Photography for Love 10 to 1 & Diving Lessons.

Additional Cinematography on Diving Lessons by Erik Forsell

Matthew Boyd is the Director of Photography for Love Song.