Fools by Martin Walker

Friday, February 15, 2008

2008: Oh What a Year!

I have an important filmmaking tip below, but before I get into that, please bear with me for a paragraph or so:

This is how 2008 has panned out so far:  while I'm out of the country the first part of Jan 2008, I find out that my apartment flooded during the LA rains.  Mold sprouted from the walls.  My landlady gave my roommate and me three days to find another place because she needed six months to replaster the place (i.e., kick us out so that she can raise the rent).  My roommate (who developed a bad respiratory problem because of the mold) scrambles to find another place--rent is of course more expensive everywhere.   Since I'm still out of the country, I ask Lisa to just move me into the new place.  She moves there (during which time her dad falls down the stairs while helping her move) and finds a dirty apartment and the frig doesn't work.   I get back into town and it starts pouring again, and again, the ceiling is leaking at the new apartment.  The phone doesn't work, which we found later was due to someone cutting the phone lines.   We tried to get DSL, but for whatever reason, AT&T can't figure out how to turn on the DSL at the apartment, even though all our neighbors have DSL (this took about a month of back and forth trouble-shooting).  Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get paid for work that I performed in December 2007, but my follow-up calls and emails for payment remain unreturned.  And, the topping on the cake: our downstairs neighbor is CRAZY (that's an all-caps CRAZY) and a total NIGHTMARE (of the Single, White Female Over Sixty variety).  There is MORE to all this insanity, but I'll spare you the details.  

But despite all this, there have been blessings.  And I'm happy to report that I (well, Laura really) found a fantastic editor who has been a pleasure to work with.  Thank you, Universe.  So Ricardo, the editor, calls me tonight and tells me that some of the footage was recorded at a rate of 59.94 fps, while the rest of the footage was shot at a 23.98 fps.  This is a problem, one of which is that sound will not sync properly with the different frame rates, plus it makes editing a b*tch.  So, we need to find a way to convert the scenes shot at 59.94 fps to 23.98.  The problem has a solution, but at what cost?  I don't know, but we'll find out soon enough.  So lesson here is, make sure that when you're shooting to keep your frame rates consistent.  Be anal and insist on getting it right during production, not in post.  

I found this nice quote tonight while surfing the internet (i.e., procrastinating) that I'd like to share with you.  It doesn't have anything to do with frame rates, or nightmare apartment stories, but it's inspiring to me:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back--Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.  All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.  A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."  (for source of quote, see www.goethesociety.org/pages/quotescom.html)

We are committed to getting this film done.  Come hell or high water (literally)--bring it on baby!

2 comments:

Debra Snider said...

I am amazed and delighted to see the Goethe quote, which is not only one of my favorites, but also the quote I used as the forward for my first book and have included for inspiration on my website. I'm so glad you ran across it and found it inspiring too. Best of luck with the film!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Debra! I also saw the Goethe quote on your website and had to smile at the coincidence (or as Jung would say, there are no coincidences, only synchronicities). I just ordered your book on Amazon and look forward to reading it. Btw, I love the articles on your website.

About The Three Shorts

Christine Le wrote and directed the 1st story Love 10 to 1.
The first story explores the life of a 29-year-old virgin, Jenny, who desperately wants to lose her virginity before her 30th birthday. As she encounters one loser after another on dates, Jenny pines after her boss, Dustin. While at her grandmother’s retirement home, Jenny learns a powerful lesson from her grandmother about sex and the meaning of life.


Christine Le (right) directs Shireen Nomura Mui (Jenny) & Justin Klosky (Jim).

Lucy Rodriguez wrote and directed Love Song.
The second story revolves around Shane, the lead singer of the L.A. rock band, Dirty Virgin. Shane has her pick of admirers but it’s her roommate Dustin she wants to be with. Shane confesses her feelings on Jackie and Jared’s show but when Dustin meets Cali, Shane’s shot at love starts to dwindle. With Dirty Virgin about to embark on a world tour, will Dustin realize that he’s the object of Shane’s affections? Will they risk their friendship to give this Love Song a chance?


Lucy Rodriguez & David Villar (Dustin)

Laura Somers wrote and directed Diving Lessons.
The final story picks up where Love 10 to 1 left off, but from the perspective of Jim, the guitarist of Dirty Virgin. Jim sees Jenny at a swimming pool, trying desperately to overcome her fear of diving. In fact, he finds out that she’s making a list of everything that she’s afraid of and trying to overcome them, one by one. He is instantly smitten and tries to convince her that he’s not just a rock star who ‘loves ‘em and leaves ‘em’. Can a rock star find love with a virgin?


Shireen Nomura-Mui, Laura Somers & Justin Klosky




Leah Anova is the Director of Photography for Love 10 to 1 & Diving Lessons.

Additional Cinematography on Diving Lessons by Erik Forsell

Matthew Boyd is the Director of Photography for Love Song.