Fools by Martin Walker

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Give It Away

"There's a river born to be a giver
Keep you warm wont let you shiver
His heart is never gonna wither
Come on everybody time to deliver"



My friend Mari Marks (she plays Sonny Vivian, Dirty Virgin's band manager) is one of my dearest friends. Through her, I've met some of my biggest supporters, Bonnie & Barbara (and ofcourse Mari herself). They are all therapists and believe me, the advice of three therapists has come in handy more often than not during this production. These ladies have become my LA surrogate mothers. I LOVE THEM.


During the last round of production they were super supportive, they listened to my worries and gave me great perspective. A dinner with these three ladies lifts my spirits for months on end.


During the last round of production, I had a hard time coming up with all the money to shoot my film. Mari said to me, "Lucy, sometimes you have to let things go and wait for them to come back to you". I didn't tell her this, but at the time, I thought that advice was full of sh*t. I was in a pretty crummy mood and that type of philosophy was the last thing I needed to hear.


After we wrapped in November, I hibernated for about a month. The filming took a toll on all of us. This was my time to let it go. For the month of December I really put the upcoming shoot out of my mind. I had no money and no way of getting money. At this point I had no choice than to "let go" of my film. I have to admit it, it felt good. For the month of December I did not give any thought to Love Song or anything that had to to with my "career" as a filmmaker.


With my "free" time, I hiked, worked out, spent time with friends and I managed to read; I read scripts and even got to read a book. I bought Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis when it first came out in 2004, it took me three years to find time to read it! I loved the book, it gave me an inside into the life of a band that I love. In one of the chapters Anthony talks about what the song "Give It Away" means. The song was based on advice that a friend of theirs gave him when he reached a certain amount of success, (the song Venice Queen is about this friend). Since then, that song has become my mantra. When ever I want something from the universe, I have to give something to the universe.


I'm about to set dates to shoot my film. I gave something to the universe and the universe gave back to me. Today, I am HAPPY.


So the support of my three friends plus the wisdom of Give It Away has gotten me through some rough times. Pursuing your dreams is painful and hard, I'll let you keep you posted on the pay off. I'm sure it'll be worth it.


xoxo,
Lucy

No comments:

About The Three Shorts

Christine Le wrote and directed the 1st story Love 10 to 1.
The first story explores the life of a 29-year-old virgin, Jenny, who desperately wants to lose her virginity before her 30th birthday. As she encounters one loser after another on dates, Jenny pines after her boss, Dustin. While at her grandmother’s retirement home, Jenny learns a powerful lesson from her grandmother about sex and the meaning of life.


Christine Le (right) directs Shireen Nomura Mui (Jenny) & Justin Klosky (Jim).

Lucy Rodriguez wrote and directed Love Song.
The second story revolves around Shane, the lead singer of the L.A. rock band, Dirty Virgin. Shane has her pick of admirers but it’s her roommate Dustin she wants to be with. Shane confesses her feelings on Jackie and Jared’s show but when Dustin meets Cali, Shane’s shot at love starts to dwindle. With Dirty Virgin about to embark on a world tour, will Dustin realize that he’s the object of Shane’s affections? Will they risk their friendship to give this Love Song a chance?


Lucy Rodriguez & David Villar (Dustin)

Laura Somers wrote and directed Diving Lessons.
The final story picks up where Love 10 to 1 left off, but from the perspective of Jim, the guitarist of Dirty Virgin. Jim sees Jenny at a swimming pool, trying desperately to overcome her fear of diving. In fact, he finds out that she’s making a list of everything that she’s afraid of and trying to overcome them, one by one. He is instantly smitten and tries to convince her that he’s not just a rock star who ‘loves ‘em and leaves ‘em’. Can a rock star find love with a virgin?


Shireen Nomura-Mui, Laura Somers & Justin Klosky




Leah Anova is the Director of Photography for Love 10 to 1 & Diving Lessons.

Additional Cinematography on Diving Lessons by Erik Forsell

Matthew Boyd is the Director of Photography for Love Song.