Fools by Martin Walker

Monday, April 14, 2008

Persistence; Networking II

There are two organizations that I give a lot of my time to, Film Independent and Movies by Women. I started volunteering at Film Independent because I wanted to network with other filmmakers. I’ve had the privilege of meeting top professionals in varying disciplines of filmmaking and learning a great deal from them.

In 2006 I was accepted into the 2007 cycle of Project:Involve - Film Independent's signature diversity program. The program pairs you with a mentor – I was lucky to get my top choice – I chose Flower Films and have been mentored by two executives there, they have been more than kind in sharing their time and advice. Their assistant has been great at setting up my meetings and following up with me. You should always be respectful of the assistants because they are the up and coming executives and if you are nice to them they may remember you but if you are nasty they will definitely remember you.

Some of our P:I advisors included directors Billy Ray (Shattered Glass, Breach) and Doug Atchison (Akeelah and the Bee), Producer Albert Berger (Little Miss Sunshine, Little Children) among others. This is not my attempt to name drop but to let you all know how important it is to network not only amongst your peers but also with people who are established in their careers.

It was also through Film Independent that I got involved with Movies By Women. Christine and I attended our first event some four years ago. The Digital Filmmaking Series is a five week workshop that gives a thorough overview of current and emerging technologies in the film industry. Our instructor was Tara Veneruso, founder of Movies by Women. At the time, it felt like this was going to be one of the most challenging film related courses I had taken. To my surprise, I got what Tara was teaching. She is so knowledgeable and her enthusiasm is contagious. I knew I had to work with her. Today, I consider Tara a mentor and a close friend. Through my work with Movies by Women I’ve met directors Allison Anders, Grace Lee, Penelope Spheeris and most recently Kimberly Peirce and Joe Dante among others. I am one of the co-host of the Moveisbywomen.com audio podcasts and I am grateful to Tara for bringing me along on this ride.

I have a wide network of filmmaker friends that include some of my dearest friends; Christine, Laura, Danny, Gus, Tara, Stephanie, Matthew, Jenna, Jane, Lynn and Nanobah. They are so talented and I am proud to call them friends and/or collaborators and I’ve met all of them by networking.

Lucy

No comments:

About The Three Shorts

Christine Le wrote and directed the 1st story Love 10 to 1.
The first story explores the life of a 29-year-old virgin, Jenny, who desperately wants to lose her virginity before her 30th birthday. As she encounters one loser after another on dates, Jenny pines after her boss, Dustin. While at her grandmother’s retirement home, Jenny learns a powerful lesson from her grandmother about sex and the meaning of life.


Christine Le (right) directs Shireen Nomura Mui (Jenny) & Justin Klosky (Jim).

Lucy Rodriguez wrote and directed Love Song.
The second story revolves around Shane, the lead singer of the L.A. rock band, Dirty Virgin. Shane has her pick of admirers but it’s her roommate Dustin she wants to be with. Shane confesses her feelings on Jackie and Jared’s show but when Dustin meets Cali, Shane’s shot at love starts to dwindle. With Dirty Virgin about to embark on a world tour, will Dustin realize that he’s the object of Shane’s affections? Will they risk their friendship to give this Love Song a chance?


Lucy Rodriguez & David Villar (Dustin)

Laura Somers wrote and directed Diving Lessons.
The final story picks up where Love 10 to 1 left off, but from the perspective of Jim, the guitarist of Dirty Virgin. Jim sees Jenny at a swimming pool, trying desperately to overcome her fear of diving. In fact, he finds out that she’s making a list of everything that she’s afraid of and trying to overcome them, one by one. He is instantly smitten and tries to convince her that he’s not just a rock star who ‘loves ‘em and leaves ‘em’. Can a rock star find love with a virgin?


Shireen Nomura-Mui, Laura Somers & Justin Klosky




Leah Anova is the Director of Photography for Love 10 to 1 & Diving Lessons.

Additional Cinematography on Diving Lessons by Erik Forsell

Matthew Boyd is the Director of Photography for Love Song.